For print-friendly version, click the PRINT button at the end of the post
'Devils' always remind me of Christmas; not that that stops me serving them up with pre-dinner drinks almost whenever we have people round. Lazily, it usually means I don’t feel the need to bother with a sit-down starter. They are quite substantial little eats, the salty ribbons of bacon a perfect contrast with the sweetness of the soft, prune interior.
SERVES 8 AS PRE-DINNER NIBBLES
10 rashers of streaky bacon
20 pitted prunes
Preheat the over to 180°C.
Halve the bacon rashers. Place a prune at one end of each halved rasher and roll it up in the bacon. Repeat until all the prunes and bacon are used up.
Lay the devils flat on a non-stick baking tray (if it’s not non-stick, line it with some foil or baking parchment) and cook in at 180°C oven for 20-30 minutes, turning after 10-15 minutes so that they are lightly browned on both sides.
Serve at once alongside a stack of paper napkins and a small eggcup filled with cocktail sticks so people can spear their own devils (or forego them and use their fingers).
PRUNE NA BINALOT SA BACON
PARA SA 8 PULUTAN
10 hiwa na streaky bacon
20 pirasong prunes
1. Painitin muna ang oven sa 180°C.
2. Yung buo o isang piraso na bacon ay hatiin sa dalawa. Lagyan ng 1 pirasong prune sa dulo ng bacon at ibalot ang prune (roll yung bacon sa prune). Hanggang sa matapos lahat ng bacon at prunes.
3. Kumuha ng tray at lagyan ng foil o baking parchment para hindi dumikit at ilagay ng yung ‘devils’ o yung nabalutan na prunes.
4. Ilagay sa loob ng pinainit na oven.
5. Lutuin nang 20-30 minuto, pagkatapos ng 10-15 minuto baliktarin ito at sa kabaliktaran ganun din (o hanggang sa maging brown ng konti).
6. Ihain sa plato na may tissue at may kasamang toothpick sa maliit na mangkok.